Europe has suffered from high gas prices for decades which prompted trailer designers to engineer trailers that can be pulled safely by smaller, more fuel-efficient tow vehicles.
Europeans have been developing well-engineered, aerodynamic horse trailers much longer than we have in North America. We have the benefit of learning from their years of experience.
Three outstanding criteria must be met:
- Maximum tongue load of 113 kg (250 lbs) for trailers 14′ or shorter, 150kg (330 lbs) for trailers 14’+
- Independent mechanical or hydraulic braking system.
- Features to create a silent, cool, comfortable space for your horse(s)
In accordance with European road regulations, European engineers design “self-balancing” horse trailers – bearing their weight over the wheels and “leaning” a maximum of 4% of the GVWR onto the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle “guides” the trailer along the road, rather than “piggy-backing” it.
Conventional flat roofed, box-style trailers create a vacuum when in tow, which requires a strong engine to break the vacuum. The aerodynamic roof line of Böckmann trailers eliminates the vacuum and sway, so no need for a strong engine. By transferring the load back to the trailer itself, and by creating aerodynamic roof-lines, a smaller vehicle can tow a Böckmann-designed trailer.
Safety & Comfort
Böckmann trailers have been designed with your horses’ safety and comfort in mind.
- Silent, cool and spacious interior ensures your horse enjoys the best possible conditions during transport.
- Anti-panic stall system allows you to release the chest bars from outside the trailer, in the event of emergency.
- Tinted safety windows open in five different ways to direct airflow for maximum comfort for your horse(s).
- The ramp/rear door fully closes. Ventilation design maintains a consistent temperature inside the trailer, ensuring horses are kept cool with continual access to fresh air.
- Rear door has a storm door flap that can be fully closed or left open depending upon season or weather conditions.
- Adjustable stall width for foaling mares and yearlings.
- 5′ long loading ramps, allowing horses to stand with all 4 feet on the same plane as they enter or exit the trailer.
Böckmann Design Excellence
- Arrive at the show relaxed and ready to perform
- Silent, cool and spacious
- Safety windows
- Maintains a consistent temperature
- The rear ramp has a storm door flap
- Adjustable stall width and length
- Maximum tongue weight: 150 kg 330 lbs)
- Engineering: Read more